see how transparent they are... for more than shells

Tuesday 23 September 2008

Cause I'll just make the same mistake again


This evening I have been mostly wandering around my house, glass of wine in hand, thinking about Genesis 3 and sin. I am leading housegroup through it tonight and the more I think about it, the more my stomach is turned.

Obviously the effects are far reaching; running from God, nakedness, harshness of the land, pain in childbirth, meaninglessness of toil that man returns to earth he works, banished from the kingdom. Death.

The relationships of God with man, man with woman, human with earth are destroyed. It's heartbreaking. It's stomach turning, gut renching, heart breaking stuff....especially considering the perfection that went before.

At the end of Genesis 2, Adam has sung this wonderful song as finally after all the years it has taken to name the hundreds of animals and finding no helper suitable for him, he is given Eve. Finally, THIS is bone of his bones, flesh of his flesh. The ultimate love song, rapture and joy. And they become one flesh in complete union.

Fast forward a few verses and he's blaming her, no, blaming GOD for giving him her and for her sin. And this is repeated throughout history for ever more. Just a very small example of the complete chaotic disaster rebellion creates.
"Her desire shall be for her husband and he shall over her."

Tonight at housegroup I am going to play 'Mistake' by James Blunt
Saw the world turning in my sheets and once again I cannot sleep.
Walk out the door and up the street; look at the stars beneath my feet.
Remember rights that I did wrong, so here I go.
Hello, hello. There is no place I cannot go.
My mind is muddy but my heart is heavy. Does it show?
I lose the track that loses me, so here I go.
And so I sent some men to fight, and one came back at dead of night.
Said he'd seen my enemy. Said he looked just like me,
So I set out to cut myself and here I go.
I'm not calling for a second chance,
I'm screaming at the top of my voice.
Give me reason but don't give me choice.
'Cause I'll just make the same mistake again.
And maybe someday we will meet, and maybe talk and not just speak.
Don't buy the promises 'cause, there are no promises I keep.
And my reflection troubles me, so here I go.
I'm not calling for a second chance,
I'm screaming at the top of my voice.
Give me reason but don't give me choice.
'Cause I'll just make the same mistake,
I'm not calling for a second chance,
I'm screaming at the top of my voice.
Give me reason but don't give me choice.
'Cause I'll just make the same mistake again.
Saw the world turning in my sheets and once again I cannot sleep.
Walk out the door and up the street; look at the stars.
Look at the stars fall down.
And wonder where did I go wrong.


And yes, praise God that next week CAN happen...the moment we move on from the perished kingdom to the promised kingdom...

No comments: