see how transparent they are... for more than shells

Saturday 20 September 2008

The earth trembles when he looks at it.


After being bought up in a Christian family, the Bible can become so over familiar. Sometimes, when I hear a sermon that opens a pasage or an idea about God, his world, or his plan in a powerful way I am moved to tears. Sometimes when I grasp something for the first time in my own reading, or am reminded of something I am moved to tears. Rarely however am I moved to tears over the same passage again and again by just reading it. But, Psalm 104 does this to me.

It's just this unbelievable description of God's work in creation. His bigness, his majesty, his power his total and utter control of the whole entire thing. It's mind blowing.

It ends like this:
"May the glory of the LORD endure for ever; may the LORD rejoice in his works,
who looks on the earth and it trembles,
who touches the mountains and they smoke!

I will sing to the LORD as long as I live;
I will sing praise to my God while I have being.
May my meditation be pleasing to him,
for I rejoice in the LORD."

Phew...despite all the incredibleness of an incredible God's hand in creation, not only does he HEAR my meditation and my singing but it's quite possible for it to be PLEASING to him.

He who just LOOKS on the earth and it trembles hears my song, hears my thoughts and beause of Jesus, they are pleasing to him.
Wow.

No comments: