see how transparent they are... for more than shells

Saturday 24 March 2007

This always happens. Blogging block.

When I first started blogging it was a way of creatively expressing my thoughts; sometimes trivial, sometimes important, mostly trivial. Or a verse, a song, a peice of writing, something that was meaningful. Then everyone started blogigng and I think I got overwhelmed by the potential and also the formula. Some people write about their day, some people write about God, some people cover up the crap and talk about the good, some people just write whatever. I never know what to do.

Not becuase I haven't got stuff I could say but writing it down, putting it out there is like saying "hey world, you should read this." I feel slightly arrogant. I also feel a sense of the fear of man; wanting to write something well, or interesting or positive or that makes me look great is always a temptation. I don't want to be fake but I also don't want to be 'real' for the sake of being 'real'.

It was why I ended my last blog becuase so many people read it and I felt I was putting on a show, too concerned about how people would think about me through my blog. Both the good and the bad. I didn't want to edit to encourage fear of man in myself. I long only to fear God.

And so I get bloggers block.

2 comments:

Kath said...

Wanting to write something like-
wait until you spontaneously want to write down an experience, a thought, a word, a picture, an idea and then go with that. Don't force it. Don't try and be profound or not profound. Ride the wave of block and wait. it will come... and if it doesn't well...

Fi said...

that's why i find it hard to blog, and why i really like this new blog you've started. the things you write on here just seem fun, not that they're comedies but that you've really enjoyed writing them and it's a labour of love rather than a chore.

my blog is currently in a fitful sleep. i know that i sometimes can write well and have written well, and so when i sit down to write after the increasingly long gaps i put a pressure on myself to write well again.

i didn't want my blog to be a god-blog, or a depression-blog, but the other things that move me to write i sometimes think aren't right to be put on the internet. if you can count depression a 'right' thing to rave about, i don't know, but it was a soothing thing to do.

i guess i think the wonderful thing about blogging is that it really doesn't matter what you say. as long as you're not compromising anyone else you don't have any other judge but yourself, there's no standard of 'publishable material' that you have to uphold in less you've placed one there yourself. if you find those standards restrictive then remove them, don't follow them.

i love it when you write, and i know the blogging block all too well. you're not alone!

xxx take care

(ps, this has made me want to go and blog now)